Friday, July 3, 2009

Cami's Sweet & Salty Cake

This was only half way bad for me. As you can see, I have a leaning cake. I think the problem was that the caramel doesn't sink into the cake very well, creating a slick spot for the next layer. The cake is very tasty and I have a plan for the next time I make this cake. (Yes, I will be making it again. Maybe for a special occasion or something.) It will add a lot of time to the already time intensive (5 hour) cake, but it should be worth it to have a pretty cake. I would frost the first layer with warm caramel and then frosting. Put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to set the frosting. Repeat with the other two layers. If the caramel is warm maybe it will seep into the layers better. I was too impatient to do this since it was around 10:00 when I finished the cake. The actual cake didn't take that long to make, it was more the caramel and the frosting that needed constant attention and time.
As you can see, my slices still came out looking pretty and I had extra caramel that I drizzled on top. I love this caramel and will probably make it for popcorn or ice cream fairly regularly.

This was my first three layer cake. I walked right in to Walmart and picked up my 3 eight inch pans. Thanks for doing the ground work Danielle! I will try another three layer cake before I attempt this one again though.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Good job. It looks really yummy. I was planning on making it this weekend but now I'm afraid!

acandiedapple said...

Don't be afraid. Seriously! You can do it and it is really tasty. It may be one of those recipes that I make a few times before I'm completely satisfied with how it looks, but it definitely tastes good.

Unknown said...

Hi, I would love to join your baking group! How do I submit myself so that I can be added to the schedule?