Monday, May 4, 2009

Whiteout Cake


Oh the Whiteout Cake. I have to admit. This recipe was a dud for me. Twice. I made it last weekend as a cake. The cake was dense and not very good. The frosting was great, but lumpy and thin. I was mortified. There was no way I was taking a picture of that.

So, I was determined to try again yesterday. I whisked the egg whites longer, making them fluffier. I chose to do cupcakes instead of a full cake. I did as the instructions suggested and added an extra yolk to the batter. The batter looked so much better. I was hopeful. Unfortunately the cupcakes came out looking good but tasting and having the consistency of corn bread. Yikes. I was so discouraged I didn't even attempt the frosting again. I will though. I will. I think I've had it with the cake recipe. I'll find another white cake recipe to use the frosting with because it was really good.

So, that being said, I am curious if other people have the same problem I do with this recipe. Maybe it's my stove. Maybe I over mixed it. Maybe I under mixed it. Maybe I didn't get the butter temperature just right. Maybe I over or under baked them. I don't know. I would love to know if this works for you. If I've scared you off and you don't want to try it, I understand. I would encourage you to at least try the frosting. It was delicious. I think I didn't have the butter cool enough, causing the frosting to be runny. I also think I didn't mix it enough, causing it to be lumpy. Please try it. Make a cake mix and throw this frosting on it. Whatever you do, please try it and tell me how it worked for you.

On to the questions:

When did you start baking / cooking?
I have been cooking and baking as long as I can remember. I remember helping my mom make playdough when I was really young. I started doing things on my own when I was about 8.

What is your favorite kitchen tool?
My KitchenAid mixer. I love that thing. I use it at least once or twice a week.

Do you have a favorite spice? If so, what is it?
My favorite spice is cumin. I discovered it within the last few years and add it to a lot of things. It has a deep, rich flavor.

What is your favorite book?
Um, I have a lot of favorites. I think Freakonomics is probably one I could read again and again.

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
I would love to travel to Europe.

If you had to change your first name right now, what would you change it to?
Camilla.

Where do you currently live?
Chicago, for the next 25 days and then Columbus, Ohio.

Where are you from?
Hermiston, Oregon

If you could eat one thing for every meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
A hearty salad with turkey, black beans, corn and tomatoes with either southwest dressing or barbeque sauce and ranch.

*Updated to add a disastrous picture.

No comments: