Thursday, May 21, 2009

Danielle's Sour Lemon Scones



Yum! I really like how these came out!

At first I was kind of grossed out that it calls for three sticks of butter (for only 12 - 18 scones!). I try to minimize my butter usage whenever possible, and I figured I'd could probably just use less. I asked LuAnn if she thought I could get away with using less and she said they'd likely be too crumbly (she said they were pretty crumbly as it was).

Based on that, I decided to try to substitute sour cream for some of the butter. And it worked out great! I cut out one of the sticks of butter and put in about 1/4 cup of light sour cream. The scones weren't really very crumbly at all, although they still maintained a scone-like texture. I think they came out perfect.

Also, LuAnn and Cami both recommended I try making the candied lemon peels to add more lemon flavor. I almost didn't because it looked like too much work, but I decided to go ahead so at least one of us could give an opinion about it. I like having the candied lemon peel in the scones, but it really was kind of a pain. I'm not sure if it was worth it. But if I do make the candied peels again, I think I'll cut the water and sugar in half (way too much syrup) and I won't boil it so many times (four times seems pretty excessive). I feel like it boiled too much of the zippy lemon flavor out.

Overall, I really liked these, and I would definitely make them again. It's kind of funny that my two most successful recipes out of this book have been lemony goodies.


2 comments:

acandiedapple said...

Your pictures are amazing! You could do this professionally. If I ever write a cookbook, I'll be calling you.

I agree that they really talk up their recipes. Maybe they should have spent a little more time on their recipes and a little less on the descriptions. Okay, I'm still a little bitter about the whiteout cake. Can you tell?

Melanie said...

these scones look and sound so yummy! I'm a little sad I didn't make them, but I can almost guarantee they wouldn't have turned out as good here.