Monday, May 25, 2009

Turkey Burger with Grated Zucchini and Carrots (from Real Simple Magazine)

Total time: 25 minutes
Serves 4

3/4 pound ground turkey
1 med zucchini, grated
1 med carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 teas. dried thyme*
3/4/ teas. kosher salt
1/4 teas. black pepper
1 large egg
olive oil

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the olive oil. Form the mixture into 4 patties (although mine usually ends up more than 4 patties because I think I make some of them smaller for my kids). Heat 1 T. oil in a large skillet over medium heat.** Cook the patties, turning once, until no trace of pink remains, 4 to 5 minutes per side. *When I don't have thyme, I just use an Italian herb mix (which contains thyme) and it tastes just as good. **I don't think you can grill these burgers...they are pretty soft patties and I think they would fall through the grill.

Real Simple suggests serving it like this:
4 slices cruty bread
4 small leaves Boston lettuce
4 T. mayo (optional)
2 teas. fresh lemon juice (optional)

Heat broiler. Place the bread on a baking sheet and brush with 2 T. olive oil. Broil until golden brown and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer the bread to individual plates. Top with the lettuce leaves and burgers. If using, combine the mayo and lemon juice in a small bowl and servie with the burgers.

To be honest, I've never tried it the way the magazine suggests (mostly because I'm not crazy about mayo on my food). We've had them on plain hamburger buns as well as soft rolls or Kaiser buns. Nicholas (age 7) likes his with BBQ sauce. Sophia (age 4) is a purist and likes them plain with her bun. Greg and I like ours with regular hamburger fixings and a slice of sharp white cheddar cheese, or with lettuce, tomatoes and avocado slices. I like to put homemade bread & butter pickles in mine (although the store-bought ones are ok, too). It's pretty flexible and I like that my kids get a little dose of veggies. And it's pretty quick and easy to put together on a busy night.

********************
When did you start baking / cooking?
I feel like I've been baking and cooking for as long as I can remember. My mom has no recipes for anything she cooks, so when I was little, one of my favorite things to do (and even now when I'm with my mom) is to get the spices for her and watch how many pinches of this and that she puts into her food. She cooks by taste, so my other favorite part of cooking with her was tasting. I always enjoyed baking, but I did a lot of baking when I was in law school because it was a nice, timed way to take a break from reading and outlining. And at the end, there were yummy treats to be had.

What is your favorite kitchen tool?
Oh, so hard to pick just one. I love anything that requires zesting citrus...love the oils that spritz out when you zest. Also love a good silicone spatula. Oh, my KitchenAid (ten years and running...).

Do you have a favorite spice? If so, what is it?
Ginger--fresh is great, but powder is pretty good, too. I love that you can use it in cooking and baking and it just wakes up food.

What is your favorite book?
Once again, so hard to pick one. To Kill a Mockingbird is an old favorite. I recently read Charlotte's Web with my son and forgot what a good book that was. And Mama, Do You Love Me? is one of my all-time favorite books to read to my kids.

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
Anywhere tropical, but somewhere with no mosquitos. That's a tough one. I love going to Hawaii and I'd go back in a second...even if they have mosquitos.

If you had to change your first name right now, what would you change it to?
I wouldn't. I spent most of my early childhood after we moved to the U.S. wishing that I had a different (*American*) name because no one could say my name right and I remember wishing my name was as simple as my friend Susie's in the first grade. Then when my family got our U.S. citizenship, my parents said we could choose a name if we wanted. And I couldn't come up with a name that I liked enough to change my name. Same with my last name. Couldn't wait to get married to change it and when I did, I couldn't part with it altogether. So I compromised and hyphenated.

Where do you currently live?
Chicago, Illinois

Where are you from?
I was born in Korea, but moved to the U.S. when I was five. I got to Chicago by way of Kansas, Texas, Indiana, Illinois, D.C., Minnesota, and Utah.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Sounds tasty, Hyeyoung. And I really liked that story about your name!