Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chicken and Bacon Shish Kabobs


Alright ladies, this Chicago humidity must indicate that summer is now in full swing, and around our place that means tasty summer grill recipes. This is one of my favorite recipes for the grill - simple, tasty, and easily adapted to suit one's preferences. And if you find yourself without a grill (as is our case at the moment...), don't fret; I just pop these babies in the oven under the broiler and the results are just as pleasing.

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons canola oil (I use olive)
10 large mushrooms, cut in half
2 bell peppers, cut into bite-size pieces
2 green onions, minced
2 – 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast - cut into chunks
1/2 pound sliced thick cut bacon, cut in half
1 -2 (8 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained
Any other veggies you like to skewer
Skewers

DIRECTIONS:
1) In a large bowl, mix the soy sauce, cider vinegar, honey, oil, and green onions. Place the chicken, mushrooms and bell peppers into the mixture, and stir to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

2) If using wooden skewers, let soak in water for 30 minutes to avoid scorching.

3) Preheat grill for high heat. Wrap the chicken chunks with bacon, and thread onto skewers so that the bacon is secured. Alternate with mushroom halves, bell peppers and pineapple chunks. (Optional - I occassionally partially pre-cook the bacon for a minute for two in the microwave to start the cooking process before wrapping the chicken. I find this helps the bacon crisp up a little easier while grilling/broiling.)

4) Lightly oil the grill grate. Arrange skewers on the prepared grill. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, brushing occasionally with remaining soy sauce mixture, until bacon is crisp and chicken juices run clear.

NOTES: I always double the marinade and set half aside (before adding the chicken) for basting and dipping. I usually brush a generous amount on the skewers just before serving, as well. We like ‘em saucy! I also estimated on the amounts of pineapple and veggies - I tend to just use as much as we have. Some people cook their veggies on separate skewers from their meat, since cooking times may differ, but I've never really had a problem. I just let them cook until the bacon starts crisping up. And if bacon isn't your thing, the chicken tastes great alone, as well.




Q: When did you start baking / cooking?
A: I loved to help my mom bake cookies or treats when I was little, mostly so that I could nibble right along. But I didn't gain a real interest in cooking/baking until I had a college roomate who made homemade bread everyweek. The smell of bread baking in the oven was too much to resist - I had to learn how to do it on my own.

Q: What is your favorite kitchen tool?
A: I love my 12" Cuisinart skillet, it cooks everything perfectly. And my 7" Santoku knife, I feel pretty powerful with that thing in my hands. But I dream of a KitchenAid mixer... one day

Q: Do you have a favorite spice? If so, what is it?
A: I LOVE fresh basil, and I could sit and smell freshly-ground ginger all day long.

Q: What is your favorite book?
A: The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.


Q: If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
A: For me, it's where would I go next. We love to travel and try to do it any chance we get. I think next on the list is Costa Rica, but I'm hoping to go back to Italy soon... I can't get enough.


Q: If you had to change your first name right now, what would you change it to?
A: No clue. Maybe Hazel.... that's my Guitar Hero character's name.

Q: Where do you currently live?
A: Chicago

Q: Where are you from?
A: Orange, CA

Q: If you could eat one thing for every meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
A: Fresh fruit... pineapple, strawberries, mangoes, raspberries, peaches... maybe a little chocolate every now and then and I'd be set for life.

1 comment:

acandiedapple said...

Awesome! I can't wait to try these!