I made so many changes to this recipe that I'm not sure my post will be that helpful to anyone else. Sorry! I just can't help myself. But I will say they were delicious.
I also love PF Chang's lettuce wraps, although for some reason Max and I both like the vegetarian ones better. I'm not sure why they taste so different to me, but I think the sauces are different and I prefer the taste of the tofu ones.
Anyway, like Whitney said, these didn't really taste like PF Chang's lettuce wraps, but they were still good. In fact I've tried two lettuce wrap recipes now, and neither of them tasted like PF Chang's, though they were both good.
So here are the changes I made:
- I used ground turkey because I had some already thawed in the fridge and needed to use it up.
- I added ginger because I just think that a recipe like this needs fresh ginger.
- I cut back on the sugar in the stir fry sauce. Glad I did because they were still bordering on too sweet for me.
- I left out the mushrooms because I didn't have any and I don't like them.
- I added grated carrots because I try to add extra veggies any chance I get.
- I substituted tofu for some of the ground meat because, as I mentioned above, I like the tofu lettuce wraps at PF Changs and because I actually had some in the fridge that I needed to use up.
- I stirred in some chopped cilantro just before serving.
- I used lime juice instead of lemon juice in the special sauce and added some lime juice to the stir fry sauce.
I know, that pretty much makes it a totally different recipe. But whatever. It tasted good!
And oh yeah, I have no idea how PF Chang's always has such perfect lettuce shells. The good crisp lettuce is towards the inside of the head of lettuce, but it's impossible for me to get those inner leaves off in whole pieces, let alone pieces that aren't all torn up by the time I get them off. So I have no helpful advice on that.