Monday, May 17, 2010

Beef Stroganoff Sandwich

Hello Baked Bakers!

I have officially disappeared off the face of the planet. Well, of the blog-o-sphere anyway. I haven't even updated my personal baking blog in well over a month. I've been so busy planning my wedding that my blogging has completely taken a back seat in my life.

Much thanks to Cami who emailed me yesterday to remind me that it was my week to post a recipe. Sorry about being a day late. I hope I haven't ruined anyone's grocery shopping schedules. For my recipe, I decided to ask Eric, my fiancé, what his favorite dish was that his mom would make growing up. He said "just ask her about the awesome sandwich that she used to bake like 10 years ago." Haha. Well, luckily my future mother-in-law knew exactly which sandwich he was talking about and sent me the following recipe:

Beef Stroganoff Sandwich

1.5 lbs. ground beef
1/2 C. chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 loaf French bread (whole loaf, not sliced or baguette)
Butter or margarine, softened
1.5 C (12 oz) sour cream - may add more to preferred taste/ consistency
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 large green pepper, diced
3 C. shredded (12 oz) cheddar cheese

In a skillet, brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Add salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Cut bread lengthwise in half; butter both halves and place on baking sheet(s). Remove meat mixture from the heat. Stir in sour cream. Spoon onto the bread. Sprinkle with tomatoes, green pepper and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted (bake longer for crispier bread).
Yield: 8 - 10 servings

I plan to cook this for dinner this evening so I will be able to post photos and thoughts later in the week.

I hope everyone is doing well and finding the time to cook and bake, as I am failing miserably and miss it so much!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I made this dish tonight for my future hubby and our two roommates. Everyone loved it. I made a few changes - low fat sour cream, lite cheese, and ground turkey instead of beef. The "sandwich" is more like a bruchetta where all the ingredients are piled on top of the sliced bread. It's very yummy and very easy. A definite crowd pleaser! I didn't take any pics so this comment is serving as my additional post. Hope you get a chance to try it out :)