Monday, March 16, 2009

This Week's Recipe: Coconut Chicken Curry

Hi, this is Melanie Wallbrecht posting. The cooking recipe for this week is Coconut Chicken Curry. It didn't come from a cookbook since I don't have any cookbooks with me here in Ecuador, so I got it online from one of my favorite recipe websites- allrecipes.com. Actually, I think it's a compilation of a few different chicken curry recipes from that site. I made it once before a couple months ago, I liked the way it turned out, and this is the recipe I saved on my computer. I remember it having a good hearty flavor. You can add more or less curry to your liking.

Coconut Chicken Curry

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - chopped
1 small head broccoli, chopped
1 carrot, diced or cubed
2 potatoes, cubed
3-4 tablespoons yellow curry powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup chicken stock
few dashes of cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until tender. Mix in the chicken, and cook 10 minutes, or until juices run clear.

2. Mix the broccoli, carrots, potatoes, curry powder and garlic salt into the skillet. Pour in the coconut milk, chicken stock, and brown sugar. Season with cayenne pepper, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Serve over rice.


Now a little more about me:

Q: When did you start baking/cooking?
A: I think I've always baked and cooked, always helping my family when I was younger. I never felt I didn't know how to cook, but it wasn't until I was married that I realized my cooking/baking skills were in need of expansion. I don't consider myself super skilled by any means, but in the past few years I've found I enjoy trying new recipes and new ingredients, and eating a variety of different foods. I enjoy cooking and baking equally as much.

Q: What is your favorite kitchen tool?
A: Can't live without my rubber spatulas.

Q: Do you have a favorite spice? If so, what is it?
A: I love the smell of ginger, but don't use it a whole lot. I probably use black pepper the most, especially since my husband loves a lot of it in everything.

Q: What is your favorite book?
A: I honestly don't have a favorite book. The last two I read were Congo and As Summer's Die.

Q: If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
A: I would love to visit Australia.

Q: If you had to change your first name right now, what would you change it to?
A: I don't know, never thought about it. Maybe something shorter like "Amy" or "Ann" or "Rae" because my full name has so many letters!

Q: Where do you currently live?
A: I currently live in Quito, Ecuador. I've lived here since last October and I'll be here until the end of June. Then I will be moving back to Chicago.

Q: Where are you from?
A: Mesa, Arizona

Q: If you could eat one thing for every meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
A: Maybe a Jimmy John's sandwich, because they are quite tasty plus it would have a well-balanced variety of ingredients.

1 comment:

acandiedapple said...

Oh my goodness this sounds good. I can't wait!