Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sweet Potato Mash Crash

I had a failed attempt at the "mash" with tonight's dinner (pork instead of lamb since it was already in my freezer). I cooked the vegetables at 350 for a couple hours, and by then I felt like the veggies had shriveled and the outside had become overly cooked/firm. (Wouldn't recommend the baby carrots, which is all I had in my fridge.) I increased the temperature to quicken the process. It went downhill from there ... not having a masher and a $5 hand mixer were part of the problem, but I felt like the veggies weren't soft enough inside and that the outside had become too tough to mix easily. What went wrong? Please share your thoughts in the comments. Thanks.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Sorry it didn't work out!

Did you brush your veggies with oil before roasting them?

I think that may have been too long for that temperature. The recipe says they will cook in 45 minutes at 375, so I think 2+ hours at 350 might be too long.

By the way, did you bake them by themselves or with the pork?

Whitney said...

Ok, you're right about the temp ... I must have read it wrong. (Sidenote- that recipe was so hard for me to read and follow, just not very clear I guess).

I should have used more oil than I did and I baked them by themselves for awhile then added the pork at the end. Ah well!

Danielle said...

You're right. The recipe was kind of hard to follow. I hope you're willing to try it again though because it was really good!