Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Melanie W.'s Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Potatoes


I wasn't quite sure about this recipe at first for two reasons 1) I don't usually make Indian spiced dishes, though I do like Indian food. I just wasn't sure how mine would turn out. 2) I never make cauliflower because my husband does not like to eat it. He thinks it's bland, has no nutrition, and he thinks old people smell like cauliflower. Regardless, I decided to give it a try.

Well, I thought it was really good!! And my husband did too. He even willingly ate the cauliflower. :) I didn't have any cumin seeds, coriander, or turmeric and I wasn't going to spend $15 on them just for this meal so I substituted curry powder and it was yummy. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. I don't like crunchy onions or even slightly crunchy onions so I sauteed the heck out of them instead of roasting them like Jeannie did. I removed all the seeds from my jalepeƱo because the last time I cooked something with jalepeƱos I left in just a few seeds and the food was way too hot, so I didn't want to take any chances. I would still consider this a spicy dish, but not too spicy.

I served it over Thai Jasmine rice because that's what I had, along with some naan bread, and it was a delicious meal that filled us up and even gave us leftovers! If I were to change anything I would probably just add more too it, like broccoli or carrots or chicken to make it a little more hearty and colorful.

No comments: