Thursday, February 11, 2010

Danielle's Orzo



First, here are the changes I made to the recipe. I made mine vegetarian and omitted the shrimp. I think next time I'll try it with chicken (I'm not that into shrimp these days). Also, I used regular orzo instead of whole wheat orzo. I would've preferred to use whole wheat since it's healthier, but I couldn't find any. And I used goat cheese instead of feta. Feta is a bit too sharp for me, and I pretty much always substitute goat cheese.

I have mixed feelings about this meal. I liked it well enough, and I think I'll make it again. But I think it needs some changes.

Good things first -- I loved the combination of dill with the goat cheese. Those flavors went really well together. I also liked the roasted grape tomatoes. And the best part is that Max loved the roasted tomatoes! He usually doesn't like tomatoes very much, and up till now I thought he always preferred to leave them out of any meal. But the first thing he said when he took a bite was, "Wow, these tomatoes are great! This has got to be the best way to eat tomatoes!" Any recipe that can get Max to eat tomatoes stays in my recipe rotation. And overall, Max really liked this dish.

My biggest complaint is that it seemed too dry -- like it needs a sauce or liquid or something. I added some extra olive oil, but I didn't want to add too much and make it greasy or add too much fat. I'm not sure what I'd do about that next time. Maybe some lemon juice? I think lemon could go well with it. Also, next time I'll definitely add extra dill and extra goat cheese, but I think I'll also add some roasted garlic or sauteed garlic. I think it could use it.

2 comments:

Jess Hammond said...

I think some kind of quick vinaigrette would solve the dry prob. Lemon-herb vinaigrette. I just made that up, but I bet it would work.

Melanie said...

ya, a vinaigrette sounds good! I think if it was made with whole wheat orzo it would be even more dry, so something saucy is probably a good idea.