Sunday, September 5, 2010

Maren's Garlic Cloves + Chicken


My husband extremely fond of roasted chicken but requested that I prepare it in the traditional style, so here's what I did different from the recipe:
  • left the chicken whole
  • no pre-cooking on the stove
  • poured about 2 Tbsp. of oil (I think 1/2 c. would've been way too much) in the bottom of the pan before popping the chicken in the oven, in addition to rubbing the bird itself down with oil as the recipe says to
  • cooked about 60 min. at 475°F, basting every 20 minutes or so
The chicken turned out very nicely! It was one of the better roasted chickens I've done--and I don't do it that often; it's a special occasion-type dish for us. Roasting garlic along with it is a great idea for today's supermarket chickens that are perhaps not as flavorful as their eaters would like. Maybe I'll try to work this recipe in a bit more during the winter--it is definitely a cozy dish, and very easy to do. (Plus I love to make chicken broth with bones and skin after the meat's all eaten up and have chicken noodle soup!)

No comments: