Sunday, April 5, 2009

Melanie W.'s Sweet and Sour Meatballs


Mine actually turned out to be sweet and sour beef meatballs. I couldn't find any ground chicken, or even ground turkey, though I know I had seen it before. Oh well. Other things I had to modify: no tomato sauce here, so I used canned diced tomatoes and blended them up. No crushed pineapple here, so I got sliced pineapple and also blended it up. Worked fine! And I used regular rice instead of instant, because again...don't have it here.
I really liked this recipe! I don't make meatballs very often, even though I like them. I guess becuase they're sort of messy to make. I also don't like all the grease that cooks into many meatball recipes. Here in Ecuador, I was able to buy super super lean ground beef for super cheap, so I didn't feel like I was eating a ton of grease!
I think my food would have turned out a little bit better if I'd been able to use instant rice because it would have helped soak up some of the juices as it cooked. Instead, I just cooked my regular rice separately and poured the meatball sauce on top of the rice. The sauce ended up being a little too runny this way. But it was still delicious, and I think I would definitely make this recipe again! Thanks for the recipe Melanie!

No comments: