Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chelsea's Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Glaze


So, this was really really good. I served it for Easter dinner and everyone absolutely raved about it. It was quite rich and very chocolatey...perfect!

When making the cake, it was actually kind of hard to decide when it was done. The book says it should be firm to the touch and to not over bake it. It was firm but a little springy. We decided that cakes are springy and so it was declared done. I think we were right, in the end, but we were a little nervous.

When the cake was cooling, the middle sunk in. I'm not sure if it was supposed to do that-it may have been a result of not baking quite long enough. I have a suspicion, though, that it was supposed to happen because it worked really well when glazing the cake. It made a perfect little bowl for the first layer of ganache.

I made the mistake of trying to take the parchment paper off before the cake completely cooled and when I went to flip it (with my hand) it cracked almost completely in half. Luckily I stopped it before it was too late and after putting the glaze on, you couldn't tell that any damage had been done.


I think that the glaze was very good, but the cake was good enough to stand alone (perhaps with whipped topping or ice cream, as they suggest.) I thought it was an amazing dessert and it's great that it is gluten free without sacrificing any of the taste. We will definitely keep this in our list of desserts to make.

No comments: